For the last few months, Dustin and I have been in complete denial about our dog Maddi. She was our first baby and has been through EVERYTHING with us. I bought her for Dustin's 21st birthday so she has seen us get married, move, bring Chi-Chi into the house and then has been a protector of Ramsey and Bryson.
Today, the vet confirmed that he thought the tumor on her belly was indeed cancer and it is spreading up into her body. He basically told us that if Maddi was his dog he wouldn't put her thru such a tough surgery.....due to her age, the location of the tumor and its size. So basically we are on full-time watch to see if her behavior changes. Dustin told the vet that the day she stops eating is the day he will know it is time to let her go.....that dog lives for food and food alone.
It makes me feel so old knowing that this decision is in our future.......this is a "parents" decision. (I am WELL aware that I am a parent but this is a big decision that I don't want to make, ever.)
Anyway, that was a fun-sucking post so I will come back with something positive later in the week. Oh yeah, Bryson has an ear infection......awesome day for the Bettencourts!

9 comments:
Oh my gosh you guys. I am so so so so sorry about you baby dog. That is one of the hardest things to do ever. I am sure he had a wonderful life and he will be in your hearts forever. I am so sad for you guys. We will be thinking about you
So sorry about your doggie. They are like family members when you have had them for that long. Just think of what a great life you have given her.
we had to put our 1st cocker spaniel, buster down that we had since 1 month of marriage..it was incredibly hard. he was my cuddle dog. all you can do is give her the best life here on earth.
Lori,
If you and Dustin need anything, please don't hestitate to ask. I'm so sorry this time has come for Maddie and you, but it unfortunately comes to all of us. Just remember that euthanasia is the most wonderful gift we can give our 4 legged family members when it is time for them to go after all they have given us. I only wish our own deaths could be so painless. When the time is right, Maddie will tell you. You'll see it in her eyes.
Lori, so sorry about Maddi. Hoping that you guys find the peace and comfort you need to make it through this tough time. I'll be thinking about you guys!
Hugs!
Saying goodbye to a pet is so hard. I'll be thinking about you guys. Just remember all the good times and maybe Santa will bring Bryson and Ramsey a new pet!! ;)
This is one of my worst nightmares now that Peanut is almost 12 yrs old and is just getting old on us. I cannot imagine having to deal with what you are going thru. I will be thinking of you guys and praying for you both.
Poor Maddi. Enjoy the time that you have with her, as I know you will.
So sorry Lori! I know how hard this must be. Maddi has had an amazing life, and is lucky to be a part of your family. Everyone is right, he will live on in your hearts forever.
Post a Comment